At Christmas, we had our first experience of attending a school show. The twiglets had their Reception Christmas concert. Cute little kids on a stage singing – what could be more lovely, right? Well it was lovely. But simultaneously a bit of a bloody nightmare! So I thought I’d share some tips on attending school shows for anyone who hasn’t had this joy yet…
- Arrive early. Like ridiculously early. About two hours in advance should do it (not even joking!) My other half arrived half an hour early and ended up sat almost at the back.
- Be prepared to stand. If you’re not lucky enough to get a front seat, you may find you can see absolutely sod all. Obvs depends on the school – ours is quite big with 3 classes in each year. There were siblings at the front watching, plus the hall was rammed with adults. The kids were sort of tiered but the ones on the floor (of course H was one of them) could basically only be seen by the front row. I found I was better off standing at the side on tiptoes to get any kind of view of him.
- Wear layers. School halls full of about 200 adults plus 90 odd kids are HOT. Like a billion degrees. Make sure you can remove some clothes unless you want to be sweating profusely.
- Prepare yourself for the phones. Lots of them. In fact, most of the reason the view was quite so sh*t was because of all the arms and phone screens in the air. Of course I took the odd photo and the odd video – which were zoomed in to the max and shocking quality so basically pointless anyway. But just don’t be a d*ck and film the entire thing with your arm right up in the air ok? 😀 (obvs schools have different policies on this – some don’t allow any filming at all, which tbf is probably a good idea)
- Bring tissues. No matter how annoying or chaotic the whole thing is, the fact is your little bubbas are going to be stood on stage singing their little hearts out. It’s emotional. Something about small children singing, however tunelessly and horrendously, always manages to bring a tear to my eye. So just in case you do get a little overcome, make sure you’ve packed some tissues in your bag!
I hope that was useful! What would your tips for attending school shows be?
Til next time,